I’m now officially a LEED AP BD+C (LEED Accredited Professional – Building Design and Construction)
LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is the most widely used green building rating system in the world. Available for virtually all building, community and home project types, LEED provides a framework to create healthy, highly efficient and cost-saving green buildings. LEED certification is a globally recognized symbol of sustainability achievement.
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) publishes the following 7 goals in the preface of every reference guide. They are the drivers for the intent and requirements of all prerequisites and credits.
In addition, these goals inform the weighting of points. If you have ever wondered why one strategy is worth 5points, but another only 1, it is directly related to these goals. Credits that offer the greatest benefit toward the most important goals also offer the most amount of points. The goals are:
▪ To reverse contribution to global climate change
▪ To enhance individual human health and well-being
▪ To protect and restore water resources
▪ To protect, enhance, and restore biodiversity and ecosystem services
▪ To promote sustainable and regenerative material resources cycles
▪ To build a greener economy
▪ To enhance social equity, environmental justice, community health, and quality of life
Contact me directly if you need a free copy of the study materials and exams for both LEED GA and LEED AP.